Monday 29 August 2016

Perry Plastic British Infantry of the Sudan

I purchased some of Perry's recently released plastic British Infantry at Salute this year, for gaming in colonial Afghanistan or the Sudan and have thrown together a quick overview of what I think of them.
At this point, I should inform you that there is an excellent review  compiled by Stefan over at Monty's Caravan which is worth checking out.
Due to my usual slow progress in all areas, I have only managed to complete one infantry sprue so far, but have formed enough of an impression to hopefully give you all a helpful heads-up.

Here are the two types of sprues contained within the box; you get six infantry sprues (left) and two command sprues (right) giving a wide range of options for firing, loading and 'at the ready' positions for the private infantrymen, along with officers, drummers and sergeants on the command sprue. There is even a dog, Bobbie, a survivor of the Battle of Maiwand in Afghanistan between the 66th Regiment of Foot and local Afghan tribesmen in 1880.



Included in the box are some useful painting and construction guides, along with eight regimental colours, giving you the option to parade your men as a variety of colonial British troops (although, disappointingly there are no colours for use in the Sudan, despite the set being designed with that theatre in mind, albeit, as an afterthought, possibly).



A few of my favourite poses so far - with the usual apologies for my poor photography skills - illustrating what can be achieved with only limited modelling skills. I really like these figures and all are well detailed and proportioned with a wide range of possible poses. My limited painting skills are such that I go for the worn, dirty look; which is in keeping with desert deployments.



If I have any criticism it is with the sometimes fiddly assembly required; particularly with some of the riflemen and their two-part arm construction requiring a degree of dexterity (I am in no way ham-fisted, by the way) to achieve the desired effect. However, with practice, this was soon overcome. The lack of suitable colours for the Sudan, as already mentioned, was also a slight let down; if anyone knows of suitable examples elsewhere, I would be grateful to find out.

                                    

Finally, an 'action' shot of three Tommies facing up to a couple of plucky Perry plastic Fuzzies to give an indication of size, which, I think you will agree is spot-on.

All in all, I recommend these to any fans of colonial gaming and look forward to additions in this plastic range.

That's it, for now.

Monty



12 comments:

  1. Great job Monty and you've got further with your than I have with mine, which taunt from the plastic pile. Love the stubble effect, well done that man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael, always good to get encouragement from a fellow straggler :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Monty, these pictures are very helpful and this product looks very tempting.
    Best,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet paint job, that's how to tempt someone into a totally new period .. shame on you Monty

    Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have seen these in a local shop and I don't quite know if I can help myself ... irrational urge alert ... danger

    Well painted figures mate .... the craving started, quick nurse the screens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just bought some myself, and fully agree with you on their quality. One point is that colours were not carried into battle after 1881, so that would be a good reason why the set doesn't have any for the Sudan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Peter; I must admit that it isn't (obviously) my period of choice, but has always held a passing interest for me. I hope Perry will bring out some plastic Afghans soon.

      Delete
    2. Many thanks Peter - good point; I should have read the text closer 👍🏻 not really y period and all that...😀

      Delete
  7. I want to buy Perry plains of British Sudan to get home at home to play it. I know many people who want to play can buy it.


    gclub

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Monty
    But Monty what have you done showing me these lovely toys
    So much for my 20mm plans for Colonials!

    ReplyDelete