Tuesday 16 August 2016

Belated, Random Update!

As threatened previously, I have returned following my blogging 'sabbatical' (which is a very popular but pretentious term used increasingly nowadays, particularly in the media) and while this isn't a gaming post as such, I hope it will be mildly interesting.




Very briefly, Mrs Monty and I have recently returned from our summer holidays, part of which was spent back in my home neck of the woods (literally) in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, where we were visiting family and friends. Whilst there, among other things, we visited Chepstow castle, situated on the Welsh/English border at the mouth of the River Wye as it feeds into the Severn Estuary.



Norman in origin and dating back to 1067, the castle was active for many years and its  position, perched high over the River Wye made it strategically vital. Among its many custodians were William Marshal and Richard de Clare to name but a couple.




View looking north at the remains of the Norman central hall, giving an ideal of the protection offered from the river and its cliffs.



(Mrs Monty ruining an informative shot of medieval stonework...huurrumph!)




Unknown to me, however, was the fact that Drogon's Welsh cousin, Blogon (I know) had decided to  make the castle its home, before suddenly and unexpectedly emerging from the inner bailey to ruin our picnic lunch. Hmmm.



On a completely different tact, I was able to make an excellent purchase for £2 of Zulu Dawn in a local charity shop situated in the nearby market town of Monmouth - which itself is notable for among other things,  being the birthplace of Henry V.The film, one of my overlooked favourites, has proven a nightmare to get hold of online, so this unexpected opportunity was most welcome.


I have been flirting with getting into Colonial gaming during my malaise - more of which in a later post. However, if it's anything like the vast majority of my other 'projects' it will no doubt result in abandonment as my attention drifts elsewhere.

Finally, for now, a quick glance at my painting table, back in the 'Eagle's Nest'; just to highlight some of the chaotic non-progress that is being made. I am painting stuff, with a few things almost ready for formal unveiling into coherent games...but I must achieve focus!




Hopefully, some of you are still reading at this point, if so, many thanks and I look forward to putting something useful up very soon.




That's it for now,



Monty

4 comments:

  1. A great looking place, beautiful pictures...and the painting table is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely part of the world Monty! I'm slightly east in the Cotwolds but usually head out west to the Forest of Dean and Brecon for long weekends and escapes! Those castles - simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jason, there certainly are plenty around here inone way or another.

      Delete